Joshua: Be Strong & Courageous
1:1-18, 11:23 (Pastor Heo)
The LORD Commands Joshua
1 After the death of Moses the servant of the LORD, the LORD said to Joshua son of Nun, Moses’ aide: 2 “Moses my servant is dead. Now then, you and all these people, get ready to cross the Jordan River into the land I am about to give to them–to the Israelites. 3 I will give you every place where you set your foot, as I promised Moses. 4 Your territory will extend from the desert to Lebanon, and from the great river, the Euphrates–all the Hittite country–to the Great Sea on the west. 5 No one will be able to stand up against you all the days of your life. As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you.
6 “Be strong and courageous, because you will lead these people to inherit the land I swore to their forefathers to give them. 7 Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. 8 Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. 9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.”
10 So Joshua ordered the officers of the people: 11 “Go through the camp and tell the people, ‘Get your supplies ready. Three days from now you will cross the Jordan here to go in and take possession of the land the LORD your God is giving you for your own.’ ”
12 But to the Reubenites, the Gadites and the half-tribe of Manasseh, Joshua said, 13 “Remember the command that Moses the servant of the LORD gave you: ‘The LORD your God is giving you rest and has granted you this land.’ 14 Your wives, your children and your livestock may stay in the land that Moses gave you east of the Jordan, but all your fighting men, fully armed, must cross over ahead of your brothers. You are to help your brothers 15 until the LORD gives them rest, as he has done for you, and until they too have taken possession of the land that the LORD your God is giving them. After that, you may go back and occupy your own land, which Moses the servant of the LORD gave you east of the Jordan toward the sunrise.”
16 Then they answered Joshua, “Whatever you have commanded us we will do, and wherever you send us we will go. 17 Just as we fully obeyed Moses, so we will obey you. Only may the LORD your God be with you as he was with Moses. 18 Whoever rebels against your word and does not obey your words, whatever you may command them, will be put to death. Only be strong and courageous!”
11:23 So Joshua took the entire land, just as the LORD had directed Moses, and he gave it as an inheritance to Israel according to their tribal divisions. Then the land had rest from war.
Be strong and courageous. Can you hear this living voice to each of us individually? “Be strong and VERY courageous.”
Quiz: (Last Sunday)
- Deuteronomy location: Moab (plains of)
- How long did they stay there? 1 month
- What did they do there? 1-2 days Moses’ final sermon + 30 days mourning Moses death
Where Deuteronomy ends, Joshua begins.
Also, God is so patient, that he waited until the people finished crying for Moses. When that time was over, God immediately said to Joshua, “My servant Moses is dead, so you and all your people, arise, stand up and go over the Jordan to the land I’m giving to you, the children of Israel. I will give you EVERY place you put your foot and no one will be able to stand against you. Be strong and courageous! (4 times repeated) As I was with Moses, so I will be with you.”
Key verse: 8 “Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth. Meditate on it day and night so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.”
- son of Nun from the tribe of Ephraim
- actually, his remarkable life was filled with variety, success, and honor – he was well-known for his faith in God and the Spirit of God in him.
- He was born in Egypt, so he witnessed the terrible slavery of the Israelites – he also witnessed God’s deliverance of his people when the Red Seas parted.
- His first appearance = Exodus chp 17 – the Israelites were immediately attacked by the Ammalekites – Joshua led the army in victory over them. Subsequently, he became Moses’ prodige.
- Also, when Moses went up Mt. Sinai to get the stone tablets, he took only Joshua – he waited 40 days at the top of the mountain. So, unlike the other people, Joshua was not involved in the sin of the golden calf.
- He was also one of the 12 spies who explored the land of Canaan for 40 days when Moses was still alive. He and Caleb brought a good report, but the other 10 reported badly.
Because of this reported event, all 10 spies who gave a bad report and all who followed them were condemned to die in the desert after wandering for 40 years. Only Joshua and Caleb were allowed to enter the Promised Land.
At the end of Deuteronomy, Moses laid his hand upon Joshua and blessed him and he was filled with the Spirit of God.
Book of Joshua = conquest, fulfillment of the promise from God
After almost 400 years – in Egypt, in the desert, they were finally able to enter and possess the land God promised them. Actually, Abraham never possessed this land – he was an alien, stranger, but he left the promise of God to his heirs.
Joshua = conquest, settlement, establishment of Israel in the Promised Land
- Entrance to the land
- Conquest of the land
- Division of the land
- Settlement in the land
Chp 13, there are still areas left to take over and be conquered. Actually, Joshua did not finish the conquest – that’s why still today, they are fighting over the land.
Story of Joshua
Joshua is commanded/commissioned by God to enter the land of Canaan.
Joshua sent 2 spies (like he was sent 40 years ago) to go check the land, esp. Jericho (it was the first front, strong, fortified city – they couldn’t enter Canaan without destroying Jericho first). They returned and reported “Yes, the LORD has given the whole land to us – all the people there were melting in fear because of us.”
Passed the Jordan river. Remember Exodus?
- The first miracle they experienced was crossing the Red Sea.
- Now, the LAST miracle they will experience before entering the Promised Land will be crossing the Jordan.
Of course, SOME of them had experienced both, but there were some differences:
- Red Sea: Moses raised his staff and stretched out his hand and the waters were divided and they walked across on dry ground.
- Jordan: First the priests walked out into the river and the people followed in their 12 tribes. The priests touched the edge of the water with their foot (this was actually flood season of the river – the harvest season – so the Jordan was FULL of water). As soon as the priests touched the water, immediately, the upstream water flow ceased and there was dry land. Then the priests walked step-by-step and in the middle of the Jordan, the priests stood until all the people finished crossing the Jordan river. This is the last miracle before entering Canaan.
Now, after they crossed the Jordan, what do you think they should do? They should fight – the land was not empty. Just crossing the river, the fortified city of Jericho stood immediately in front of them. They had much to prepare – enemies were waiting for them. But can you imagine what they did in this SERIOUS situation? The first thing Joshua did was circumcise the men. Ouch.
There was no hospital, no med tech at that time – they did it in a very natural way – because all those men born in the desert were uncircumcised. They circumcised all the soldiers and then returned to their camps to rest.
After that, they celebrated the Passover – and this means it was now a full 40 years since they left Egypt.
They defeated Jericho. Yes, the whole city was shut up in fear of them. God told them “Just march around the city ONCE per day for six days.”
In this situation,
- The first line = soldiers
- Second line = 7 priests carrying trumpets and blowing them (ram horns)
- Third line = 4 priests carrying the Ark of the Covenant
God said to them, “Keep quiet – don’t say a word during your march. Be silent. Just blow the trumpets.”
Imagine, if they were allowed to talk to each other “What are we doing?” “I dunno. I’m just walking because Joshua told us to.” They might have been negative – show unbelief in God. Therefore, he told them to be quiet to “wait and see what the LORD your God will do for you.”
- Day 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 – NOTHING happened.
- Day 7 – they got up early and marched SEVEN times in the same way – but up to 6 times, NOTHING happened. ONLY at the end of the 7th time, the priests blew trumpets and Joshua told the people to SHOUT!
- Then, immediately, the wall collapsed. The whole wall was burned and destroyed – all the men, women, children, animals, were killed. Except Rahab the prostitute (who later became part of Jesus’ family line).
Later, 5 kings joined together to fight Joshua. God told Joshua, “Do not be afraid of them. Not one of them will stand against you. I will give them into your hand. Be strong and courageous.” During this battle, God hurled large hailstones. More of them were killed by the hailstones than by the hand of the Israel soldiers.
Actually, Joshua wanted to finish that battle on that day, so even though it was getting dark, Joshua commanded the sun and moon to stand still. This miracle was done by God the Holy Spirit.
We see the number of kings who were defeated by Joshua (31). Then, the war finished, but the Bible says that Joshua became old and there were still areas to take over – the next generation should do so.
Division/allotment of land – to each tribe – and settlement of the land. Look at the map provided.
Do you see Moab in the bottom part? It is the location of Deuteronomy. After Moses died, they journeyed 3 days.
- In the middle is the Jordan River.
- The upper sea is the Sea of Galilee.
- The lower sea is the Dead Sea.
- Based on the Jordan river, there are East Jordan and West Jordan.
Can you find Jericho? It was the first and one of the strongest fortified cities – thus, when they crossed the Jordan, they encountered Jericho almost immediately.
- East Jordan, 2.5 tribes (Reuben, Gad, 1/2 Manasseh – they received their inheritance already from Moses before crossing the Jordan).
- West Jordan, 9.5 tribes – in all 12 tribes.
Which tribe has no inheritance? Levi – the priestly tribe. Instead of that, they received 48 towns over all the areas because their job was the priestly job – helping the people in spiritual matters.
Do you see the Mediterranean Sea? Still, since Joshua did not finish the fighting, there is still fighting there today – Gaza, PLO – Palestine Liberation Organization – sometimes they are in tension still today – maybe until Jesus’ Second Coming.
The book ends with the death of Joshua – he dies at the age of 110. Moses was 120.
This is the final address of Joshua to his leaders and people.
Yes, we saw in Deuteronomy, Moses final sermon. In this sermon, the key message is:
Deut 6:5-6, “Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, strength. Today, I call heaven and earth as witnesses against you – I have put before you life and death, blessings and curses. Choose now one. Choose life, for the LORD is your life.”
Joshua’s final message is almost the same:
“Be very careful to love the LORD your God – fear him and serve him with all faithfulness – choose your Lord. If serving the Lord seems undesirable, choose whom you will serve – whether in Egypt or the Ammorites – but as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD.”
This is the final message and encouragement of Joshua.
So, what message can we get from Joshua for us today?
Key word: Joshua = a type of Jesus Christ
Actually “Joshua” = Hebrew, “Jesus” = Greek – they are the same word. Like “Messiah” (Hebrew) and “Christ” (Greek) are the same words.
- “Joshua” = “the LORD saves”
- “Jesus” = “he will save his people from their sins”
4 similarities of Joshua and Jesus
#1: As Joshua defeated his enemies, also Jesus came into this world to defeat his enemies (sin, Satan, death)
(He defeated death by his death) – He came to take away sin –
- 1 John 3:5 “We know He appeared so He might take away our sins.”
- 1 John 3:8 “He who does what is evil is of the devil for the devil has been sinning form the beginning, but Jesus came to destroy the work of the devil.”
#2: As Joshua led his people into the rest of Canaan, also Jesus leads us into the rest of God
Just as Joshua gave them rest as a symbol, Jesus gives us spiritual rest.
Hebrews 4:8-10 “For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken later about another day. There remains then a Sabbath rest for the people of God. For anyone who enters the rest of God rests from his work just as God rested from his.”
We see “rest” 4 times here.
If we are really the children of God, Jesus gives us rest.
Jesus says, “Come to me all who are weary and heavy-laden and I will give you rest… I am gentle and humble in heart – come to me and find rest for your souls… Peace I leave with you, my peace I give to you. I do not give as the world gives.”
#3: They received the Promised Land by God but it was not empty
It was promised LONG ago through their forefathers. They received it as a covenant land by God, but when they entered it, the land was not empty, it did not welcome them. They had to fight. What does this mean?
Our salvation does not guarantee an easy life in this world. We must fight.
Paul says, “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.”
Yes, even though we receive eternal life, the promise and covenant of our God, we must fight.
- Jesus says, “In this world you will receive troubles of many kinds but take heart, I have overcome the world.”
- Romans 8 “In ALL these things, we are Super-Conquerors through Christ who gives us strength.”
#4: Moses encouraged them to CHOOSE. Joshua also encouraged them to CHOOSE. Also today, we must CHOOSE.
Do you have willpower? Do you have choice? There are many ways to go, we must choose only ONE way. In every way, every situation, we must choose.
Even animals did not receive willpower – only human beings have received willpower. We can think and choose.
Still, before us, there are two ways –
We must choose. Not just once, but in EVERY situation and step and circumstance. We must choose our way, our truth, our life. Jesus says, “I am THE Way, THE Truth and THE Life.” He is our Way, our Truth, and our Life.
God bless us all in our choice in every step.
<20151018전주안디옥교회 AICF 허재범 목사님>
여호수아서 : 강하고 담대하라
1:1-18, 11:23 주요 구절
1: 11 진중에 두루 다니며 그 백성에게 명령하며 이르기를 양식을 준비하라 사흘 안에 너희가 이 요단을 건너 너희의 하나님 여호와께서 너희에게 주사 차지 하게 하시는 땅을 차지하기 위하여 들어갈 것임이니라.
11:23 이와 같이 여호수아가 여호와께서 모세에게 말씀하신 대로 그 온땅을 점령하여 이스라엘 지파의 구분에 따라 기업으로 주매 그 땅에 전쟁이 그쳤더라.
- 여호수아서 전에 신명기에서 이들은 지리적으로 어디에 머물고 있었나요? 모압평지-.
- 얼마나 머물렀나요? 한달입니다. 한달간
- 뭘했습니까? 하루동안의 끝없는 모세의 설교와 설교 후 죽은 모세의 죽음을 애도하는 30일 이었습니다.
모세가 죽은 후 하나님이 여호수아에게 나의 종 모세가 죽었으니 일어나서 내가 주리라고 말한 땅으로 가라. 누구도 너희를 대적하지 못 하리니 강하고 담대하라 내가 모세와 함께 한 것 같이 너와 함께 있을 것임이라하고 강하고 담대하라는 말을 4번 반복합니다.
8절은 주요 구절로 ” 이 율법책을 네 입에서 떠나지 말게 하며 주야로 그것을 묵상하여 그 안에 기록된 대로 다 지켜 행하라 그리하면 네 길이 평탄하게 될 것이며 네가 형통하리라.”
여호수아는 누구인가요? 에브라임 지파이고 눈의 아들입니다. 다양한 경험을 하고 존경받는 사람이었습니다. 먼저 출애굽의 증인으로 사막에서의 기적들을 보았고 홍해가 갈라지는 것을 경험했던 사람 중의 한 사람입니다. 성경에서 여호수아가 처음 등장한 것은 출애굽할 때 (르비딤에서) 아말렉이 처들어 왔을 때 모세가 여호수아에게 싸우도록 합니다. 10계명을 받으러 갈 때 모세가 여호수아를 데리고 가서 산어귀에서 기다리도록 했기 때문에 사람들이 불안하여 금송아지를 만든 사건에 개입되지 않았습니다. 그리고 원래 12명의 정탐꾼 중 한명이었고 이때 2명만 믿음으로 보고 하고 그 40일 때문에 40년을 광야에서 같이 방황해야 했었습니다.
모세가 죽은 후에 여호수아는 하나님의 영으로 충만했습니다.
약속의 땅에는 출애굽한 세대의 자손들이 들어가게 됩니다.
- 가나안 땅에 들어감
- 가나안 땅을 정복함
- 가나안 땅을 나눔
- 가나안 땅에 정착함 으로 나뉩니다.
13장에 아직도 정복해야 할 땅이 남아 있다고 나옵니다. 그 말인 즉 계속 싸움을 해야 한다는 것입니다.
여호수아는 백성들에게 명령을 내리고 하나님께 서 들어가라고 한 땅을 들어가도록 승인 받음을 알립니다.
정탐꾼 2명을 그들이 들어가는 곳의 첫번째 맞는 강하고 요새가 있는 제리코 해변으로 보냅니다. 그 스파이들은 돌아와서 하나님이 하신 일로써 그 땅 주민들의 간담이 녹더라고 보고합니다.
출애굽이 사막에서의 처음 기적이라면 마지막 기적인 요단강을 건너는 기적이 일어납니다.
홍해의 기적에서는 모세가 지팡이들고 손을 바다로 내밀어 하나님이 일하시도록 합니다.
요단강을 건널 때는 제사장들이 언약괘를 들고 강에 들어가는데 그들의 발이 물에 닿자마자 그 강의 위쪽으로 흐르는 물이 멈춰집니다. 그때가 홍수가 있는 계절이라 물이 엄청나게 많았는데 말입니다.
그리고 이스라엘 민족들이 마른 땅을 건넙니다.
건너가서 그들이 무엇을 해야 하겠습니까? 싸워야 하지요 빈 성이 아니라 적군들이 기다리고 있는 성이 었으니까요. 그런데 5장을 보면 그 심각한 상황에서 여호수아가 한것은 모든 군사들의 할례입니다. 상상이가십니까? 그리고 그들의 상처가 아물기까지 기다립니다. 그리고 유월절을 기념합니다.
서보면 제리코에서 하나님이 말씀하십니다. 그냥 행진하라 그리고 싸우지 말아라. 하루에 한번씩 6일동안 성벽을 돌아라라고.
- 첫째줄에는 군사들이 서고
- 둘째줄에는 제사장 일곱이 양각나팔을 잡고 언약괘 앞에서 나아가고
하나님은 행진 할 때 말도 하지 않게 하셨습니다. 아마도 불신이나 믿음없는 자들의 말이 영향을 미치지 않도록 하신 것 같습니다.
- 첫째날 아무일도 없었습니다.
- 둘째날 아무일도 없었습니다.
- 여섯째날 아무일도 없었습니다.
- 일곱째날 나팔을 불며 소리치자 성벽이 와르르 무너져 내립니다.
여호수아가 기브온 주민과 화친하고 거기 있다는 사실을 안 5왕(아도니세덱왕, 헤브론 왕, 야르못 왕, 라기스 왕, 에글론 왕)이 쳐들어 옵니다. 여호수아가 모든 군사와 더불어 길갈로 올라갈 때에 여호와께서 여호수아에게 이르시되 ” 그들을 두려워하지 말라 내가 그들을 네 손에 넘겨 주었으니 그들 중 한사람도 너를 당할 자가 없으리라”하십니다. 여호수아가 밤새도록 올라가서 그들에게 이르자 하나님이 태양을 멈추게 하시고 커다란 우박으로 하루만에 많은 군사를 죽게 하고 그 전쟁에서 승리하게 됩니다.
지도를 보면 12지파에게 땅이 어떻게 분배 되었는지 나옵니다. 중앙의 요단강을 중심으로 남북으로 반으로 나누면 우측이 동요단 좌측이 서요단입니다.
동요단에는 몇지파가 있을까요? 2.5 지파 입니다. 르우벤 , 갓 그리고 므낫세(반)
서요단에는 9.5 지파 이고 지도에 보이지 않는 지파는 어떤 지파입니까? 레위 지파 입니다 이들은 땅을 받는 대신 성읍48개를 받습니다. 이들의 역할은 각 지파가운데 살면서 그들의 영적문제를 담당해야 하기 때문이었습니다.
시리아, 터키, 이스라엘, 팔레스타인 이 지역에는 아직도 땅에 관한 분쟁이 있습니다.
안쪽으로 이스라엘 에 팔레스타인 해방기구(PLO)로 이스라엘 국가 안에서 자주 긴장이 있습니다.
신명기에서 모세의 마지막 설교처럼 마지막 2장은 여호수아의 설교가 있습니다. 거의 내용이 비슷합니다.
“그러므로 스스로 조심하여 여호와를 섬기라” (23:11) “.. 너희가 섬길자를 오늘 택하라…” (24:15)
그러면 여호수아의 말씀이 우리에게 주는 교훈이 무었일까요? 말씀은 살아있고 그래서 여전히 우리에게도 역사할 수 있습니다.
여호수아= 히브리어로 예수님입니다.
예수님의 예표?입니다. 그리스어로는 예수님과 여호수아가 같습니다.
여기에서 여호수아가 예수님의 예표인 4가지 이유가 있습니다.
1. 여호수아는 하나님의 힘으로 적군을 물리칩니다.
예수님은 본인의 죽음으로써 그의 적 사탄으로부터 죽음와 죄의 문제를 담당하십니다.
요일 3:5-6″ 그가 우리 죄를 없애려고 나타나신 것을 너희가 아나니 그에게는 죄가 없느니라. 그가 우리 죄를 없애려고 나타나신 것을 너희가 아나니 그에게는 죄가 없느니라.”
2. 여호수아: 사람들을 가나안 땅에서 쉴 수 있도록 데려감
예수님 : 하나님의 쉼으로 우리를 이끄심
“수고하고 짐진 자들은 내게로 오라.”
히 4:8-10 “만일 여호수아가 그들에게 안식을 주었더라면 그 후에 다른 날을 말씀하지 아니하셨으리라. 그런즉 안식 할 때가 하나님의 백성에게 남아있도다. 이미 그의 안식에 들어간 자는 하나님이 자기의 일을 쉬심과 같이 그도 자기의 일을 쉬느니라. ” —>진정한 평화와 쉼을 원하십니까? 그 쉼은 우리 예수님께 있습니다.
3. 470년전에 약속하신 땅에 여호수아가 들어갈때 그 땅은 비어 있지 않았습니다. 그들은 싸워야 했습니다.
우리가 비록 구원받았지만 우리의 구원은 우리에게 편한 삶을 보장해 주지 않습니다. 우리는 사도바울 처럼 이 세상과 선한 싸움을 싸워야 합니다.
4. 모세의 마지막 설교가 “선택하라”
- 여호수아의 마지막 설교도 ” 선택하라”입니다.
- 예수님이 오늘 우리를 부르셨습니다. ” 선택하라”
여기 많은 길이 있습니다. 우리가 한길을 선택해서 갑니다. 인간외에 모든 창조물들은 의지가 없고 본능에 따라 살아갑니다. 인간에게는 의지를 주셨습니다. 영적으로는 두가지 밖에없습니다 “생명”과 “죽음”
오늘 무엇을 선택하며 살 것인지 결단하고 살아가시는 축복이 여러분께 있기를 축복합니다.