Don’t Be Evil in the Sight of God!
1:1-18, 17:22-23, 23:27 (Pastor Heo)
The LORD’s Judgment on Ahaziah
1 After Ahab’s death, Moab rebelled against Israel. 2 Now Ahaziah had fallen through the lattice of his upper room in Samaria and injured himself. So he sent messengers, saying to them, “Go and consult Baal-Zebub, the god of Ekron, to see if I will recover from this injury.” 3 But the angel of the LORD said to Elijah the Tishbite, “Go up and meet the messengers of the king of Samaria and ask them, ‘Is it because there is no God in Israel that you are going off to consult Baal-Zebub, the god of Ekron?’ 4 Therefore this is what the LORD says: ‘You will not leave the bed you are lying on. You will certainly die!’ ” So Elijah went. 5 When the messengers returned to the king, he asked them, “Why have you come back?” 6 “A man came to meet us,” they replied. “And he said to us, ‘Go back to the king who sent you and tell him, “This is what the LORD says: Is it because there is no God in Israel that you are sending men to consult Baal-Zebub, the god of Ekron? Therefore you will not leave the bed you are lying on. You will certainly die!” ‘ ” 7 The king asked them, “What kind of man was it who came to meet you and told you this?” 8 They replied, “He was a man with a garment of hair and with a leather belt around his waist.” The king said, “That was Elijah the Tishbite.” 9 Then he sent to Elijah a captain with his company of fifty men. The captain went up to Elijah, who was sitting on the top of a hill, and said to him, “Man of God, the king says, ‘Come down!’ ” 10 Elijah answered the captain, “If I am a man of God, may fire come down from heaven and consume you and your fifty men!” Then fire fell from heaven and consumed the captain and his men. 11 At this the king sent to Elijah another captain with his fifty men. The captain said to him, “Man of God, this is what the king says, ‘Come down at once!’ ” 12 “If I am a man of God,” Elijah replied, “may fire come down from heaven and consume you and your fifty men!” Then the fire of God fell from heaven and consumed him and his fifty men. 13 So the king sent a third captain with his fifty men. This third captain went up and fell on his knees before Elijah. “Man of God,” he begged, “please have respect for my life and the lives of these fifty men, your servants! 14 See, fire has fallen from heaven and consumed the first two captains and all their men. But now have respect for my life!” 15 The angel of the LORD said to Elijah, “Go down with him; do not be afraid of him.” So Elijah got up and went down with him to the king. 16 He told the king, “This is what the LORD says: Is it because there is no God in Israel for you to consult that you have sent messengers to consult Baal-Zebub, the god of Ekron? Because you have done this, you will never leave the bed you are lying on. You will certainly die!” 17 So he died, according to the word of the LORD that Elijah had spoken. Because Ahaziah had no son, Joram succeeded him as king in the second year of Jehoram son of Jehoshaphat king of Judah. 18 As for all the other events of Ahaziah’s reign, and what he did, are they not written in the book of the annals of the kings of Israel?
22 The Israelites persisted in all the sins of Jeroboam and did not turn away from them 23 until the LORD removed them from his presence, as he had warned through all his servants the prophets. So the people of Israel were taken from their homeland into exile in Assyria, and they are still there.
27 So the LORD said, “I will remove Judah also from my presence as I removed Israel, and I will reject Jerusalem, the city I chose, and this temple, about which I said, ‘There shall my Name be.’ “
This is not a happy story, but a sad, terrible, evil story.
Today: Do not be evil in the eyes of God.
In conclusion: I bless us to not be evil in the eyes of God.
- Bless your neighbor: Do not be evil in the eyes of God.
- Bless again. Be good in the eyes of God.
Amen. May God bless us all to be good in the eyes of the Lord.
If we continually are found to be/do evil in the eyes of God, the end is destruction in Hell.
Continuing from last week, 1/2 Samuel, 1/2 Kings – these 4 books were originally one series of books and record the entire history of Israel’s monarchy – from its rise under Samuel to its fall under Babylon.
Today – in 2 Kings is one of the worst stories in ALL the OT. It is a story of destruction and captivity of Israel (two kingdoms, North – Israel, South – Judah).
Originally, 1/2 Kings were one book in the Hebrew Bible so this is a direct continuation of 1 Kings without interruption. This continues the narrative of 1 Kings.
2 Kings divisions:
- The story of Two Kingdoms
- From 9th century B.C. to the fall of the kingdoms in 722 B.C. under the Assyrians.
- The survival of the Kingdoms
- From the Assyrian capture to the fall of Jerusalem under Babylon (king Nebuchadnezzar)
This is one of the great turning points in the history of Israel – in 1 Kings, the outstanding prophet is Elijah. In 2 Kings, the outstanding prophet is Elisha (successor of Elijah).
In chp 2, God was going to take Elijah up to heaven without the experience of death (in a whirlwind). Elijah and Elisha were walking and talking in the desert when Elijah said, “OK wait here, I will go to Bethel (the house of the Lord).” Elisha said, “I will never leave you.” So they went together. After arriving, they went on to Jericho again together (in the same manner). They went on again to the Jordan River again together in the same manner. At the Jordan River, Elijah took his cloak off and hit the river. The water divided right/left and they crossed over on dry ground.
Elijah said to Elisha, “What can I do for you before I am taken from you?”
Elisha, “Let me receive a DOUBLE portion of your Spirit.”
Elijah “You have asked a very difficult thing, but if you SEE me when I am taken from you, it will be given to you.”
They continued talking and walking and the chariots of heaven came down and separated them and took Elijah to heaven in a whirlwind. Elisha saw it and cried out, “My father!” and then began his own ministry in this evil kingdom until chp 9.
2 Kings continues a drama begun in chp 1.
- Part 1: chp 1-17 (Divided Kingdom)
- Part 2: chp 18-25 (Surviving Kingdom)
- Part 1: the story of the destruction and captivity of the northern kingdom Israel.
- Chp 25, this is also the story of destruction and captivity of the southern kingdom Judah.
- In the southern area, the kingdom last from Jehoram to Ahaz.
- In the northern kingdom, from Ahazziah to Hosea.
This shows the legacy of sinful/evil kings. The evil in the northern kingdom is ONLY interrupted by the ministry of the prophets Elijah and Elisha. At the end of Elijah’s ministry, Elisha is installed and authenticated as his successor.
Elisha was a power for righteousness in this kingdom which never served the true God nor worshiped in the temple in Jerusalem.
This story was not written as a true “history” book but was written selectively to make them heed the warnings of God.
The prophets were used by God to remind the kings of their covenant responsibility to God.
When the kings were richly blessed, unhappily, judgment and collapse consistently fall upon those who fail to obey God’s law.
Yes, God is in control of human history – revealing his plan/purpose to his people (even today). But unhappily, people are often more concerned about their own plans/purpose and their wickedness (in this case) led to their captivity in Assyria.
One time, Elijah instructed one of his prophet assistants to anoint Jehob king of Israel. He fulfilled the prophecies concerning Ahab’s descendants. (It was prophesied last time that ALL his family and children would be killed – he killed Jezebel and all his sons and even the prophets of Baal.)
In the north kingdom’s history, the worst king was Ahab, but his wife Jezebel was WORSE than him!
Jehob himself never turned away from idol worship (originally set up by Jeroboam the first king).
In the northern kingdom, there were 19 kings – ALL evil, without exception. The conclusion of this was captivity and destruction by Assyria in 722 or 721 B.C. At that time, Assyria was the most powerful country in the world.
Part Two: Surviving Kingdom (chp 18-25)
These read more easily than Part One because there is no more alternating between the histories of the kingdoms.
- Southern kingdom, 20 kings – ALL were David’s descendants (1 dynasty)
- Northern kingdom, 19 kings – 9 dynasties
After Assyria conquered the northern kingdom, they also attacked the southern kingdom some time later. King Hezekiah was the king at that time, he was faithful and reformed the country so God saved them from Assyria and brought them some blessing and prosperity.
BUT, Hezekiah’s son, Manasseh – 55 year reign – became VERY idolatrous and his long reign brought the collapse and judgment of Judah again. Judah was finally defeated by Babylon in 586 B.C. (the most powerful country in the world at THAT time).
I’m starting my sermon now.
This is the whole story of Israel’s monarchy.
These kings we can see in 4 books. 1/2 Samuel, 1/2 Kings.
- United: Saul, David, Solomon (120 years – each was 40 years)
- Saul (1 Samuel 9-31)
- David (1/2 Samuel 16-31/1-END, 1 Kings 1-2)
- Solomon (1 Kings 1-11 – Israel divided)
- 1 Kings 12-22 – Southern kingdom Rehoboam to Jehoram (#5)
- Northern kingdom Jeroboam to Ahaziah (#8)
- 2 Kings 1-17
- Northern kingdom (#8 – #19) Ahaziah to Hoshea
- Southern kingdom (#13 – #20) Hezekiah to Zedekiah
Northern = 19 kings, 9 dynasties (the history of the northern kingdom is the story of BLOOD)
- Jeroboam + Nadab (father/son)
- Basha killed Nadab to be king + Elah (father/son)
- Zimri killed Elah and all the family to be king (7 day reign – good job buddy)
- Omri, Ahab, Ahaziah, Joram = new dynasty
- Omri didn’t kill Zimri, Zimri killed himself with fire in his house.
- #10. Jehu killed all Ahab’s family, Jehoahaz, Jehoash, Jeroboam II, Zechariah = longest dynasty (5 kings)
- #15. Shallum killed Zechariah – one king dynasty
- #16. Menahem killed Shallum + Pekahiah (father/son)
- #18. Pekah killed Pekahiah – one king dynasty
- #19. Hoshea killed Pekah
Northern kingdom – 19 kings through 9 dynasties = blood + murder dynasties
Southern kingdom – 20 kings, 1 dynasty
ALL were sons of David EXCEPT Athaliah (woman)
- Northern kingdom = worst = Ahab + Jezebel
- Southern kingdom = worst = Athaliah (daughter of Ahab + Jezebel) – she married Jehoram (#5) – Ahaziah = SON of Athaliah (same name, different person) – northern kingdom #8 = Ahab + Jezebel’s son (Ahaziah)
- Ahaziah = Athaliah’s son (Jezebel’s grandson)
- North Ahaziah (#8) = Jezebel’s son
- South Ahaziah (#6) = Jezebel’s grandson
- When #7 Athaliah became queen, she killed ALL of David’s descendents except Joash – hidden from her in the temple until he was old enough to become king
- Joash is Athaliah’s grandson.
- #7 Athaliah wife of #5 Jehoram, mother… grandmother of #8 Joash
2 Kings is one of the WORST stories in the WHOLE OT. “DO NOT BE EVIL IN THE EYES OF GOD.”
2 Kings, the keywords are “captivity” and “destruction.”
Key sentence = “He did EVIL in the eyes of the LORD.” (How many times is this repeated?)
- 2 Kings 3:2,
- 2 Kings 8:18,
- 2 Kings 8:27,
- 2 Kings 13:2,
- 2 Kings 13:11,
- 2 Kings 14:24,
- 2 Kings 15:9,
- 2 Kings 15:18,
- 2 Kings 15:24,
- 2 Kings 15:28,
- 2 Kings 17:2,
- 2 Kings 17:13,
- 2 Kings 17 (destruction of northern kingdom by Assyria) – “the LORD warned them through all the prophets and seers ‘Turn from your evil ways!’”,
- 2 Kings 17:17,
- 2 Kings 21:2,
- 2 Kings 21:6 (MUCH evil – Manasseh),
- 2 Kings 21:9,
- 2 Kings 21:11,
- 2 Kings 21:15,
- 2 Kings 21:16,
- 2 Kings 21:20,
- 2 Kings 23:32,
- 2 Kings 23:33,
- 2 Kings 24:9 Jehoiakim,
- 2 Kings 24:19 Zedekiah – next chapter, Judah is defeated and destroyed
2 Kings = the book of “he did evil in the eyes of the LORD”
Elisha reminds us of Jesus (a type of Jesus)
- He lived among the people and in his ministry emphasized peace, life, hope, grace by returning from their sinful ways to God. But they rejected him – they refused to listen to his message.
- Like this, Jesus came into the world, the Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us to give us peace, life, hope, grace (John 1). But still today, MANY people reject Jesus.
Today’s title: “Do not be evil in the eyes of God” So, what/who is evil?
Yes, we can say GENERALLY “this/that is evil” – but still a person/thing can also not be evil in the eyes of whom?
For example, a national hero in one country can be demonized and evil/wicked in the eyes of another country.
We should not be evil in the eyes of:
- wife, husband, children, brothers/sisters in Christ, neighbors, the lost, co-workers, (most important) GOD – why? If we continue to be found evil in the eyes of God, the end is DESTRUCTION. – in hell, forever and ever.
So, what is “evil” in the eyes of God?
God is very patient, slow to anger, long suffering – this is true – but it means that there is a time where his patience ENDS.
What is “evil” in the eyes of God? Rejecting God by rejecting the message of his prophets (Elisha) in the OT.
Rejecting God by rejecting Jesus whom he sent (NT).
- John 3:16
- Also “God is not slow in keeping his promise as some may think… but he wants ALL people to repent.”
- 1 Timothy “God wants all people to be saved”
- Romans 10:9? “If you confess with your mouth and believe in your heart that Jesus is Lord and God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.”
- If we have a mouth, we have it to confess Christ as Lord.
- If we have a heart, we have it to believe in Christ our Savior.
So, “evil” in the eyes of God = to NOT believe/confess Jesus as Lord, Savior, King.
Repeat Romans 10:9 “…it is with your heart that you believe and are justified. It is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.”
In conclusion, I want to invite all of you to stand in the presence of God.
Please, do not continue to be found evil in the eyes of God.
My English is simple and easy.
If you have a mouth and heart and believe already in Jesus Christ as your Savior and Lord, OR if you have these and WANT to accept and confess Christ as Savior, I want to invite you to confess with me in our prayer. Follow me. This is a matter between you yourselves and God – not me. This is personal/private.
Be free, but this is your story.
“Oh, dear God. Thank you for Jesus Christ. Oh, God. By nature, I’m a sinner. I need a Savior. I believe that Jesus died on the cross for my sins and Jesus rose again for my life. Right now, I open my heart. I accept Jesus Christ in my heart in my heart – truly and sincerely as my personal Savior, and Lord, and King, and God. Come into my life. Come in my heart. I welcome you. I receive you. Truly, Jesus Christ. I commit my whole life to my Lord Jesus Christ. Right now, I’m a child of God. I’m saved simply because what Jesus has done on the cross not what I have done. Father God, control my whole life. Direct my whole life according to your wonderful purpose. I give my life to you. I am not my own because my Lord is Jesus Christ. I’m your child, also I’m your servant. Use me for your kingdom, for your purpose, for your design in this world. Thank you Jesus, you are my Savior, my Lord, my King. In Jesus name, I pray, Amen.”
<20151129 전주안디옥교회AICF 허재범 목사님>
열왕기하 : 하나님 (앞에)보시기에 악을 행하지 마라
1:1-18, 17:22 이스라엘 자손이 여로보암이 행한 모든 죄를 따라 행하여 거기서 떠나지 아니하므로
23:27 여호와께서 이르시되 내가 이스라엘을 물리친 것 같이 유다도 내 앞에서 물리치며 내가 택한 이 성 예루살렘과 내 이름을 거기에 두리라 한 이 성전을 버리리라 하셨더라
오늘 설교 제목은 하나님 앞에서 악을 행하지 마십시오 입니다. 결론은 여기 계신 모든 분들이 하나님앞에서 악을 행하지 말기를 축복합니다. 하나님보시에 좋게 행하십시오 .
사무엘 상하 그리고 열왕기 상하 4권의 책은 이스라엘 왕국의 전체 역사가 기록되어 있습니다. 사무엘 선지자 활동아래 나라가 시작되는 때부터 바벨론에 의해 멸망하기 까지의 기간입니다.
(삼상 1장-25장 사무엘이야기)
- 삼상9장-31장 사울이야기
- 삼상16장-31장 삼하전체 열상1장2장 다윗이야기 열상1장-11장 솔로몬이야기
- 열상12장-22장 남왕국 북왕국이야기
- 열하 1장-17장 남왕국 북왕국이야기 계속 북왕국멸망까지 열하18장-25장 남은 남왕국 이야기 멸망까지 의 이야기 입니다. )
열왕기하는 구약에서 가장 사악한 이야기 중의 하나입니다. 왜나하면 열왕기하는 두 왕국 북쪽왕국 이스라엘과 남 유다의 파괴와 포로이야기 이기 때문입니다. 북이스라엘과 유다는 그 우상숭배와 비도덕
으로 인한 하나님 앞의 죄 때문입니다. 열왕기상과 하는 히브루 성경(번역전 성경)에서 한권의 책 이었습니다. 그래서 열왕기하는 열왕기상에 이어 다른 도입 부분이 없이 그 이야기를 이어나가고 있습니다. 그래서 열왕기하는 2부분으로 나뉩니다. 첫번째 부분은 두 왕국이갸기 B.C. 9세기 중반부터 B.C. 722 나 721 앗시리아에 의해 북이스라엘이 멸명하기 까지 두번째 분은 살아남은 유다왕국의 이야기로 북이스라엘의 멸망때부터 예루살렘이 바벨론의 느부갓네살왕(B.C586)에게 포로가 되는 시기까지 입니다.
예루살렘과 유다 파괴와 멸망은 이스라엘의 역사에서 엄청난 터닝 포인트가 됩니다. 지난주에 공부했드시 열왕기상에서 가장 두드러졌던 선지자는 엘리야 였고 열왕기하에서 활동이 활발했던 또 한명의 선지자는 엘리사입니다. 2장에서 하나님이 엘리야를 신체적 죽음 없이 데려가시려과 하자 엘리야가 엘리사에게 길갈에서 너는 여기에 머물라 나는 벧엘로 가겠노라 하자 ” 여호와께서 살아계심을 맹세하노니 내가 당신을 떠나지 아니하겠나이다”하며 벧엘(하나님의 집 이라는 뜻)으로 따가가서 또 너는 여기 머물라 여호와께서 나를 여리고로 보내노라 하자 “내가 여호와가 살아계심을 두고 맹세하노늬 내가 당신을 떠나지 아니하겠노라.” 둘은 또 요단으로 갑니다. 요단에서 강을 건너고자 할 때 엘리야가 옷을 벗어서 강을 물이 갈라지고 두사람은 마른 바닥을 건너갑니다. 엘리야가 엘리사에게 내가 데려감을 당하기 전에 무엇을 하여야 할지를 구하라 하자 엘리사가 이르되 당신의 성령이 하시는 역사가 갑절이나 내게 있게 하소서 합니다. 어려운 일을 구하지만 내가 나 떠나는 것을 보면 그 일이 이루어 질것이라고 합니다. 갑자기 불수레와 불말들이 두 사람을 갈라놓고 엘리야가 회오리 바람으로 하늘로 올라가면서 “내아버지여 내아버지여 이스라엘의 병거여 마병이여” 합니다. 2장부터 엘리사의 시작되어 9장까지 계속됩니다.
첫번째 부분 1장-17장은 두 왕국의 이야기로
북쪽 이스라엘은 아하시아 왕부터 호세아 왕까지 남유다 왕국은 여호람왕부터 아하스왕까지의 시기입니다. 부패와 사악한 왕들의 연속입니다. 이러한 어두운 시대에 열왕기상하에서는 엘리야와 엘리사의 활동만이 이 어두움을 방해하고 있습니다. 엘리야는 하나님을 섬기지 않는 나라에서 힘을 상징했고 의를 하나님의 힘을 전수해줄 해 줄 후계자를 찾았고 전수해 줍니다. 예루살렘에서 많은 이적을 행했지만 지만 이스라엘 의 패망에 관련된 부분만 선택적으로 쓰여집니다. 북 이스라엘과 남 유다의 멸망에 관련한 관점에 맞는 것 들만 둘째부분은 18장-25장으로 남은 왕국의 이야기 입니다.
첫번째 부분에서 북쪽 왕국은 사악한 왕들이 남긴 유산입니다.
- 나누어진 유인물을 참고하시면
- 남유다( 르호보암 /아비야/아사/여호사밧)
- 북 이스라엘 (르호보암 /나답/바사/엘라/ 시므이/오므리)
- 나머지 왕들이 열왕기하에 나오는 왕들
- 남유다 (여호람 -> 아하스 (북이스라엘 멸망) -> 시드기야)
- 북 이스라엘 ( 아하시야 -> 호세아 )
북이스라엘은 총 9왕조가 있고 남유다는 다윗의 계보로 1왕조가 이어갑니다. 북이스라엘은 피의 왕조라고 할 수 있습니다. 왕을 죽이고 다른 사람이 왕이 될 때 그 왕의 가족들을 멸절 시키는 .. 표에서
- 나답 이 한왕조
- 엘라가 한 왕조
- 시므이가 한왕조 -유일하게 죽임을 당하지 않고 다른 왕조가 나온 왕입니다. 어떻게 죽었을 까요? 자살을 했습니다.
- 요람 이 한왕조 …
- 여로보암 2세
- 스가랴 ->5명의 왕이 한 왕조 (가장 오래 왕위가 계승된 기간임)
- 살룸 한왕조
- 브가히야 가 한 왕조
- 베가 한왕조
- 호세아 한왕조
이스라엘 에서 가장 사악한 왕이었던 아합을 기억합니까? 그보다 더 사악했던 그 의 부인 이세벨은 선지자의 예연대로 예후가 이세벨과 그 아들들을 죽이고 바알 선지자들을 죽입니다.
이 이세벨과 아합의 딸이 아달랴 입니다. 이 아달랴가 남유다 표에 있는 7번입니다. 7번 아달랴가 5번 여호람과 결혼하여 아들 아하시야가 왕이되는데 아하시야가 예후에게 죽임을 당하자 본인의 가족이기도 한 아들의 가족들을 다 죽이고 나라를 다스리나 아하시야의 누이가 요아스와 그 유모를 살려서 숨겨둡니다. 여호와의 성전에 있던 요아스를 7년만에 여호야다가 아달랴를 몰라내고 왕으로 세웁니다.
앗시리아가 북이스라엘을 정복할 때 남유다의 왕 히스기야는 하나님께 충성되어서 남유다는 남겨놓으십니다. 그의 아들 므낫세는 이스라엘에서 가장 통치를 오래한 왕으로 55년 동안 왕을 합니다. 그러나 다시 우상숭배를 해서 하나님의 진노하심의로 여호아김 여호아긴 시드기야 에 와서 그 당시 가장 강력한 국가였던 바벨론에게 점령됩니다. (B.C. 586)
다시 말하지만 열왕기하는 구약에서 최악의 이야기 중 하나입니다. 하나님 앞에 악을 행해서 포로가 되고 나라가 파괴됩니다.
엘리사는 예수님의 모형입니다.
엘리사는 그들의 죄악된 길에서 벗어나 평화와 희망, 은혜를 체험하도록 하지만 많은 사람들이 그를 거절합니다.
무엇이 악이고 누가 악한가요? 우리가 일반적으로 이것은 악하다고 할 수 있나요? 한국가에게 영웅인 사람이나 영광된 물건이 다른 나라에게 적일 수 있습니다. 우리는 하나님앞에 악하지 않아야 합니다. 그 악한 행위의 끝은 파괴 파멸입니다.
하나님은 화를 더디내시는 분이 맞습니다. 그러나 하나님의 인내하심이 끝나는 때가 온다는 것을 기억해야 합니다.
롬 10:9 네가 만일 네 입으로 예수를 주로 시인하며 또 하나님께서 그를 죽은 자 가운데서 살리신 것을 믿으면 구원을 받으리라.
우리가 마음(heart)을 가지고 있다면 예수님의 구원을 믿어야 합니다. .